Welcome to 2016 everyone!
Now, I know that the holidays can be filled with decadent desserts, an abundance of turkey and overeating (at multiple family functions & holiday parties). I know this from personal experience, from eating my way through multiple office potluck lunches, family Christmas turkey dinners and even New Years get-togethers with friends. And I think we can all agree that we could all use some healthy choices right about now. So I'd like to share a light and healthy yet still satisfying breakfast/brunch recipe that I made for my family over the holidays to help balance out the heavy holiday meals (we endured for several days/weeks on end). It's my winter squash fritters topped with Gay Lea's smooth cottage cheese and tart raspberry syrup garnish. #YUM
I love squash! I love all kinds of squash; and I love how versatile it is! In this recipe I use the winter squash known as "delicata squash", sometimes also called "sweet potato squash." And in case you didn't know there are many nutritional benefits to eating squash. The delicata squash has zero grams of fat, is low-cal and is a great source of Vitamins A & C, as well as potassium, iron & calcium. Seriously, squash is amazing! If you don't believe me try this recipe for yourself... It'll make a believer out of you!
It is suggested that your breakfast calorie intake should be around 700 calories and these fritters come in at around 525 calories for 6 fritters, making them a lighter alternative.
Here's What You'll Need...
- 1 organic delicata squash, grated (makes approx. 2-3 cups of grated squash to serve approx. 2 people)
- 1 organic, free range egg
- 1/3 cup of organic all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of peanut oil (to pan fry fritters)
- 4 tbsp of Raspberry syrup breakfast and dessert topping
* Makes approx. 12 small fritters the size of cookies
1. First, wash the squash. Then cut the ends off and slice in half and half again so the squash is in four quarters. Remove seeds with a spoon and cut each quarter in half again resulting in a total of eight pieces of squash. Be sure to leave the skin on as the skin holds a lot of nutritional value and fibre.
2. Using the T-Fal Fresh Express, grate the pieces of squash into a bowl. Next, combine the flour and egg in the bowl with the freshly grated squash and mix together.
3. Add the peanut oil to a frying pan on medium-low heat. After a few minutes of the oil reaching temperature, slowly add tablespoons of the squash mixture and flatten slightly in the pan using the back of the fork so they cook through. Flip once the edges start to golden and repeat on other side before removing from the pan. Place fritter from the pan onto a plate the has a paper towel on in to absorb excess oil before plating.
4. Plate. Add Gay Lea's Nordica Smooth Cottage Cheese and raspberry syrup... Then enjoy!
I'm very excited to be part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign! #BornOnTheFarm
Stay tuned for more posts...
Until next time… Enjoy!
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own. Product is available in Ontario only, at most major grocery stores (except No Frills and Walmart).